CHURCH

St.Andrews Church stands in a rectangular churchyard overlooking the water meadows of the River ore. It is built from a range of local materials including Clunch (a hard Chalk), field stones, flint, Septaria and brick. Imported Limestone has been used for dressing and decoration.

The list of known Rectors begins in 1319, with Richard, son of Robert, Prior of Ending.

The west tower is C15th plain perpendicular in 3 stages, with flush work in lozenges on the battlements. The South porch is also C15th, with stone and flint flushwork with Trinity and Passion emblems still discernable. The arch has a canopied niche in the gable with "Agnus Dei' at the apex. The roof is C16th.

The earliest remains in the building are some diagonally tooled dressed stones in the used Norman piers of the nave arcade which was probably rebuilt in the C16th. The south aisle has 3 bays, and the east window is C15th and probably formed part of the earlier aisle. There are two niches in the south wall suggesting the location of a shrine or side altar and a possible reformation date.

The north chancel wall houses an alabaster and black veined marble wall monument to William Alston who died in 1641. It has two coloured oval portraits in relief medallions. The Memorial was in a bad state with the inscription panel having fallen off and broken. In 2006 it was conserved and restored by Antonia Hockton of Hockton Sculpture Ltd. Funds for the restoration were obtained from the Council for the Care of Churches and others.

You might find the latest minutes of the PCC interesting. Grab a copy here.

Church Photographs