ABOUT MARLESFORD

Much of the communal village activity is centered on the Grade 1 listed St Andrew’s Church. The list of Rectors hanging in the Church goes back to 1319. Parts of the Church may date from the 12th century. It stands on high ground overlooking the River Ore. We also have an active Village Community Centre, where various events, including those of the Youth Club, Marlesford Massive, are held.

In 1844 Marlesford was described as a “pleasant village”, with most people being employed in agriculture, but also with a miller, a blacksmith and a publican among other tradesmen.

In the 21st century Marlesford is still a pleasant village, but we have lost our pub, our post office and our school. The railway was gradually run down as more and more people got cars and the station finally closed in 1952. We do have a Farm Cafe and a Farm Shop, which go from strength to strength.

This account is largely based on Marlesford, a short history by Margaret Fisher

The latest updates are on the Church page, as well as Local Information. Please get in touch with any comments or suggestions by using the Contact Us page.

Marlesford Photographs